2.08.2015

# accessories # scarf

Butterfly Knot Scarf Tutorial (2 Ways)



This week I have a fun scarf tutorial for you. Sometimes all you need to perk up your wardrobe is something as simple as tying your scarf in a new way. I received this beautiful Massimo Dutti scarf as a Christmas present from my in-laws and it pairs beautifully with my jacquard grey Loft tee, black fluid ankle pants and London Sole ballet slippers. Paired with a cardigan or coat, you are ready to step out into a brisk winter day, chic and refined.

Butterfly Knot Scarf Two Ways


Place the scarf around your neck making sure the ends are even. Tie the scarf in a loose knot in front of your neck.



Then take the bottom outermost edges of the scarf and tie them in a knot around the back of your neck. This is why I call it the butterfly knot because the front part of the scarf now looks like butterfly wings.



Now, in the front, pull the left side of the scarf lower than the right side. You can wear it like this or...



Tuck the shorter end into the longer end for a chicer look that provides more warmth.

Be sure to watch the video for the visual demonstration and let me know how you like it! If you are unable to see the video above, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or visit my channel (and don't forget to subscribe!) at www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur

News

Abby from To Form a More Perfect Union blog writes of At Home With Madame Chic: "I devoured this book, stopping only because I was so inspired by her words that I needed to immediately execute them in my home".

Tips on Life and Love quote At Home With Madame Chic on Why You Should Embrace Your Femininity.

Madame Chic Inspiring Thought
As you curb back on shopping and cultivate gratitude for the things you already have, you might find yourself getting "bored" with your belongings, particularly your clothes. Inspire yourself to look at your clothes and accessories with new eyes, trying new combinations or experimenting with new ways to present yourself, such as tying your scarf a different way. Take pleasure in the small things and fight the urge to always need something new.

Comment of the Week

Our Small Space writes on last week's Ten-Item Wardrobe Check-In: The number nerd in me quickly caught on to something. I think you're saying in the video that your ATL/mid-level mall clothes were 1/3 the price of higher-end brands, and that high end brands last 3 times as long. So for those of us who take cost-per-wear into account when budgeting for clothes it would seem they work out about the same.

Thank you for your comment! In most cases, I would say that the longer lasting, more expensive clothes cost about the same as the shorter lasting cheaper clothes on a cost-per-wear basis. This rule can bend, however. Some of the cheaper clothes might not last very long at all. And some of the high-quality clothes can last a really long time. It is a rule with many variables. The key is to find the highest quality clothes at the price point you can currently afford to get the maximum benefit.

Question of the Week
Amber asks if I have any tips about the ten-item wardrobe with relation to long-term weight loss.

Amber, thank you for your question! One great tip for this particular situation is to find a great tailor. If you have a high-quality garment you love that no longer fits you due to weight loss, you'd be amazed what a tailor can do. I was just in the tailor's last week and saw a woman having several items of clothing "taken in" due to weight loss. You don't need to live in a perpetual grey area wondering when you can get started on your wardrobe. Empower yourself by dressing well today no matter what size you are and the rest will fall into place.

See you this Thursday for a bonus video on another fun beauty tutorial!


Music in this video is Camille Saint-Saens'The Swan' from Carnival of the Animals


Visit my Author Website

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

11 comments:

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

That's a new scarf technique that I have not seen before...I think scarves make the nicest gifts...I gave my BFF a gorgous pashmina for her recent birthday and had so much fun choosing which one to buy!

Anonymous said...

I suspect everyone at work will be asking me how I tied my scarf when they see me tomorrow.!

Ladylike said...

Scarves, beautiful scarves! Since clearing the clutter from my wardrobe, my scarves now have their own drawer, where they are folded Marie Kondo style. They are finally receiving the space of honor they deserve. I can't look at them without thinking of my friend and beau Herb. He had firm opinions about how scarves should be tied (aviator style), and he was a great believer in scarves as gifts. In fact, he believed the best way to wrap a gift was with a scarf, resulting in two presents. This young knight was a true gentleman of the old school; he would not allow me to walk on the curb side of the sidewalk. Sadly, he passed away twenty years ago. Yes, it is so important and helpful for us to appreciate who and what we have, especially the lovely people in our lives, for as long as they may be with us. They are the real treasures!

Ladylike said...

In regard to last week's topic, the subject of shopping mistakes and lessons, these considerations apply to so much more than just clothing. I can forgive myself for clothing errors and learn from them. It's much harder for me to get over mistakes I have made in other areas, where there is more at stake, such as in choosing my children's schools. Disregarding warning signs, whether it's about clothing or a slew of new teachers and administrators, always seems to be a fatal error. We like to hope for the best and that things will work out. Not such a good idea. If I have learned anything, it's that I need to look very realistically-- not optimistically-- at my choices. It's my sincere desire to remember this truth in all areas of my life!

JenniLouLou said...

Jennifer-

Love this new technique! Something different to try. I have a scarf collection ranging from Hermes to cute cotton ones from Target. How do you store your scarves. I've yet to find the ideal method. Love you and your books! Between you and Tish Jett I have upped my game considerably! Thank you!

Jennifer (Camelot, CA)

Anonymous said...

As a certified scarf junkie, I thought I'd seen every way to wear them. Wrong. Thanks for introducing me to this method - I LOVE it!

Love your blog and your books, btw. You are class all the way!

Jodie :-)

wildnettle said...

Great idea. I will try for sure.
Fortunately in England is very cold now ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deb said...

I've not seen this style before. So simple and elegant.

Nana said...

Great tips. Thanks!
Kisses and God bless you.
Nana
http://procurandoamigosvirtuais.blogspot.com.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Thank you ladies! A few people have posted pictures online. Let me know how your butterfly knots turn out! Jennifer x